Sunday 13 January 2008

Where there is a will, there is a way!!!

My first training session with Andrew was here, only 5 miles to find out our fitness and if our bikes needed work doing on them to make them ready. I am still using my old bike as my new bike has not arrived yet.

There is a route near Fulbourn that is 2.5 miles up hill climb, then across and old shaky overgrown roman road and round and back, 5 miles all together. Both Andrew and I have estate cars to there is no problem transporting the bicycles. We went to near where the highest hills in the Cambridge area are, which is not saying much, as Cambridge is the flattest place on earth.

We started the ride 0.5 miles all was OK, then I felt that we had started going up hill, very gradually, all was still OK, breathing was a bit faster, the steeper it went the more difficult it was, but I was doing it. I struggled up this hill only to find a more steep hill, I went up that hill and made it 80% the next hill and my handlebars came loose. They were not in danger of coming off but they we rotating forwards and backwards making it difficult to control, as when it moved, I could not reach the gears or breaks.

We pulled over and decided the roman road would be too much for my old bike to we turned around, back down the hill reaching speeds of nearly 30 miles per hour. We got back and I tightened up my handlebars, all I needed was an hex key.

I went to the bike shop and bought a mini tool kit that fits onto the bike, so I will be prepared next time, and a carry case that fits to the bike behind the seat.

I was unsatisfied with the amount of training that I had done and wanted an large foldout map of the area so I decided to cycle into town. I found some old LED bike lights in the drawer and fitted them and I cycled into town 7 miles, went to some book shops and bought a large map of all the villages around the area, a complete book about bikes and racing including fixing and maintaining your bike and health, and a book with 20 cycle routes in the area.

After I cycled back my odometer said my total cycling into town and back was 15 miles. I was very satisfied with a total of 20 miles for the day.

No comments: