Saturday 26 July 2008

Is 35 miles my limit

I tried to cycle as far as I could, I cycled out on national cycle route 51. I got about 17 miles out and felt really ill.

I had to return, by the time I got back I had done 35 miles, but I was exhausted, I spent the afternoon laying down as I did not have any energy.

Yvonne cooked a nice roast chicken for dinner, I only had enough energy to only just eat it. After that I felt much better and I was OK again.

I was worried about the London to Cambridge cycle ride coming up and I could only just make 35 miles, I had to do an extra 20 miles on the cycle ride.

I was talking to people about this and the reason was diet. I only had some serials for breakfast and I set off for my ride at lunchtime, so I had no carbs. I also spent the first 5 miles at over 20 mph, so I burned all the energy that I had very quickly. I also did the whole trip without stopping.

For the London to Cambridge I am Carbo-loading, which means that I am spending the whole of today eating carbs for every meal. In the morning I will take some energy food with me like bananas and energy bars, and I may stop for come lunch, and have a couple of peanut butter and jam sandwiches. But just as important, when I set off I will pace myself and try to stick to 15mph. Hopefully this should work.

No comments: