Sunday 10 February 2008

Hydration is vital!!!

It is important to keep hydrated when you are riding for a long distance. The last couple of long rides, I have had to stop each time I wanted to have a drink of water. The problem is it is difficult to take the waterbottle, remove the dustcap take a drink then replace the dustcap and return it, with one hand whilst trying not to crash your bike into the nearest ditch. The last time I rode 22 miles in one go I only ended up drinking 0.5 litres of water. This could not continue for long.

So, I heard about hydration packs, you wear them on your back like a back pack and you have a tube to drink out of. I got a reletively cheap one to try it out, which carries 2 litres of water, and the best thing about it is the further you go, the more you drink, the lighter it gets.

Someone at work told me about a route that takes you down by the river, it is 15 miles long and takes you on all different types of roads and tracks. I decided to try it out today, and also try out my new hydration pack.

It was a very nice day, the first day I can don my lycra with no track suit over the top. Summer gear all the way. I set off and it was a warm day with a cold wind, but I continued. I took the wrong road at one point but a few minutes later I was on the right track. A few miles in I saw the river.

The track down by the river was about 6 miles and it was fantastic, I then realised why I was doing this whole thing, it made it all worth while. It was a very good recovery ride, you could not do that route quickly as you have to avoid pedestrians, joggers, other cyclists, and people fishing. It was a really good relaxing ride, I recommend people to find your own routes.

I got into cambridge and back on the roads and back home. The whole ride was relaxing it was 15 miles, but I took my time with it, it ended up taking me 1.5 hours. I will definately be doing that trip again.

2 comments:

John said...

Damien,

Good to hear that the camelpak worked out for you! I'm trying to develop a water bottle that you strap to your arm that you can easily rip off and pour water into your mouth. Could be useful for bikers too. Its called the Body Bottle (http://www.bodybottle.com) - check it out and let me know your thoughts.

Breatnac said...

Hi John,

It is an interesting idea, ideal for runners and joggers, but from a cyclists point of view it has two problems. You still need two hands to get the lid off, which was part of the problem about the bottle that I used and it only holds enough water for a 45 minute cycle ride on a hot day without refilling it.

The camelbak has one handed usage and it holds enough for 2 hours of riding on a hot day.

Breatnac