Wednesday 6 February 2008

What does't kill you will make you stronger

Just over a week ago, my wifes car had break problems, which will cost a bit to put right. So she has borrowed my car and I have started cycling to work on a daily basis.

I have discovered that I can cycle in the rain and cold but the one thing that makes things difficult is the wind. I have had a few cases where the wind was so strongly pushing against me that it has taken me twice as long to get to my destination, and by that time I was exhausted.

Last week I was travelling along an 'A' road and a large lorry coming in the opposite direction had so much force that pushed against me it nearly threw me backwards off my bike.

The last occurance of this was the day before yesterday when an articulated lorry overtook me fairly close, as it passed me the part of the trailer in between the wheels formed a vacume and I had to struggle against the force until it had passed.

These are some of the challenges that I have had to face with the invisible forces. I don't want to experience anymore servere weather like storms, ice or being pelted by large chunks of hail. Hopefully I will not have to worry about them, the more the weather improves as we leave winter behind.

Although my challenges are in the summer, I cannot only ride in nice weather. If I did, I may not be able to handle the wind blowing against me, rain or any other forces we may encounter.

No comments: